Women can use negotiating tips because it’s clear that the playing field is not yet level when it comes to workplace negotiations.
Read Carol Frohlinger’s interview with Dr. Joseph Gulfo in SmartBlog on Leadership. She offers guidance about how women can overcome second generation gender bias to get the negotiation outcomes they want. She starts by citing research that both men and women expect leaders to be male – a challenge for women who aspire to be in leadership roles. Carol’s advice for women includes:
- Seek out strategic introductions
- Focus on the details
- Prepare, prepare, prepare
- Adapt and flex as necessary
- Go to the balcony when necessary
- Improve your negotiating position