She believes that when women negotiate at work, everybody wins! The women increase both their career success and and their career satisfaction. Their organizations win because their female employees are more committed to their jobs. That’s no surprise because they are getting more of what they want and need. As a result, they are more likely to stay with their employers.
Women and Negotiation
The research is quite clear – the playing field is not yet even for women. As a result, women often have to negotiate for things their male colleagues do not. And, when they do, they often face pushback because stereotypes about how women “should” behave still exist. That means that both men and women don’t expect women to advocate for themselves. Nor do they always appreciate it!
Some Things Carol Tells Women
Watch below as Carol, speaking to an audience of women, tells them they should:
- negotiate with themselves to get in the right mindset to negotiate. Women must believe they deserve what they are asking for.
- negotiate for promotions – they don’t just happen, no matter how good a job a woman does.
- negotiate for support from allies – they can whisper in the right ears.
- consider what the other party to the negotiation might be thinking – and how he/she might be feeling.
- plan well for negotiations – “winging it” doesn’t work
The Approach Carol Takes as a Negotiation Speaker for Women
Carol delivers her messages with humor so that people can hear them. And, even more importantly, they can remember them.
Finally, Carol gets people involved. Audiences won’t listen to a negotiation speaker for women who bores them with lectures and hum-drum PowerPoint presentations. They want to get practical advice they can put to work right away!